-[{KC}]- Team Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redskins' McNabb benched, Grossman to start vs. Boys

Go down

Redskins' McNabb benched, Grossman to start vs. Boys Empty Redskins' McNabb benched, Grossman to start vs. Boys

Post  yanghongyu Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:42 am

The ever-dramatic Washington Redskins upset the NFL apple cart once again Friday when coach Mike Shanahan announced Rex Grossman will be his starting quarterback for the rest of the season, beginning with Sunday's game at Dallas.
The shocking move didn't sit well with Redskins players.
"The guys are extremely pissed," one player told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.
McNabb will be the No. 2 quarterback against the Cowboys, then drop to No. 3 behind Grossman and John Beck for the final two games of the season.
And after that?
"I also told him," Shanahan said, "that I cannot guarantee him that he will be back next year."
That's how far the 34-year-old, six-time Pro Bowl quarterback has fallen. The player acquired with such fanfare in an April trade -- the quarterback who would do for Shanahan in Washington what Elway did for him in Denver -- is benched during a season in which he has been woefully inconsistent, throwing a career-high 15 interceptions and ranking 25th in the NFL Jersey with a 77.1 passer rating.
"Disrespectful is probably not strong enough of a word," Fletcher N. Smith, McNabb's representative, college jerseys china
told The Washington Post about the benching Friday. "Donovan has handled himself with nothing but class, not just in Washington but as an ambassador for the league. To treat him this way ... it's beyond disrespectful."
Asked if acquiring McNabb in a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles was a mistake, Shanahan said: "I think there's a lot of mistakes that you make. You really don't know if you made a mistake, but if you do make one, you make it and you go on. What I want to do is evaluate where we're at the end of the season, then I will tell you if we erred or not."
McNabb's performance has the coach leaving all options open at the team's most important position for 2011. Shanahan said he had been planning to make the move after the Redskins (5-Cool were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, which happened last weekend after a 17-16 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
"I've got to find where Rex Grossman is, where John Beck is. I want a chance to evaluate these guys," Shanahan said. "I told Donovan that there's nothing he could do in the three games that would influence me over what he's done over the last 13 games. I said, 'I'm not sure what I'm going to do in the college draft, if we're able to get the top quarterback in the draft, if there was a young Donovan McNabb or maybe a Sam Bradford, someone like that.' There's a lot of possibilities."
McNabb didn't comment Friday, saying "No! No! No!" to reporters as he entered Redskins Park after practice, but he later released a statement through his publicist, saying: "I respect Mike's decision as a head coach, but I strongly disagree with it."
McNabb's wife abruptly canceled a scheduled interview with The Associated Press in which she planned to promote a charity event involving NFL wives.
Grossman met with reporters and acknowledged he's aware that fans and pundits nationwide are ridiculing his promotion. He wants to shut up his critics.
"I think everybody has doubters," said Grossman, who led the Chicago Bears to a Super Bowl during the 2006 season but has thrown 33 touchdown passes and 36 interceptions in 31 career starts. wholesale nfl football jerseys
"And any situation, until you prove yourself on a consistent basis, you're always going to have doubters, no matter what profession you're in. It's motivation. I'm human. How could you not be motivated to show everybody who's mocking this, or talking on the radio or TV thinking they're smart?
"I'm totally motivated to go out and prove not only to them but myself and my teammates that I'm a bona fide starter in this league and can lead this team to a championship one day."
McNabb was benched only once in 11 years in Philadelphia, but he already has doubled that total in Washington in less than one season. Shanahan infamously yanked McNabb for Grossman during the final two minutes against the Detroit Lions in October with the game on the line, a stunning decision made even more bizarre by the coach's mangled explanations that followed.

yanghongyu

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum