annual Tailgate Tour despite lockout

Go down

annual Tailgate Tour despite lockout

Post  jane5yan on Fri May 13, 2011 8:46 am

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- With the NFL lockout in complete swing, 3 Green Bay Packers gamers and also the team's president will spend the next five days sharing a bus which will cover over 700 miles as it crisscrosses Wisconsin and Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Did someone say awkward?
Guard Josh Sitton, linebacker Desmond Bishop and backup quarterback Matt Flynn are traveling in close quarters with president and CEO Mark Murphy around the team's sixth yearly Tailgate Tour, which left from Lambeau Field on Tuesday early morning. All 4 insisted that the ride will not be a bumpy one because of the labor strife and court fight battle between group proprietors and the players.
"I do not believe it will be awkward whatsoever," stated Murphy, who was a union representative as a player using the Washington Redskins and is now a member with the owners' negotiating committee. "I skip the players, and to spend a while with them will probably be fantastic. I'm sure we'll have some discussions about the current labor situation, but I think everyone realizes it is kind of above us all."
Murphy made no try to conceal his intention to discuss the labor situation with the players. The lockout continues to be in place since March 11 other than for a number of confusing days when it had been lifted by a federal judge in a choice which has because been place on maintain.
"I'm going to interact using the gamers. We'll have a good, open discussion," Murphy stated. "Obviously with my background getting been a player, having worked for the union and been a player rep, I can speak a lot about the issues. So I am searching forward to it."
Added Bishop: "I'm sure it'll arrive up with Mark Murphy around the bus. We can't talk about too much, but I am certain it will arrive up. Everybody's referring to it -- the whole world is referring to it. So I am certain it'll come up."
Coach Mike McCarthy, common supervisor Ted Thompson and a number of other members with the football employees saw the bus off. McCarthy and Thompson shook fingers and chatted briefly using the players, with whom they've had virtually no get in touch with because the lockout started.
"That was a little awkward. I have not seen 'em since the Tremendous Bowl," said Sitton, whose position coach, offensive line coach James Campen, also arrived out to determine the bus off. "We have not talked for 50-some days now, so I did not know the protocol. It was a little strange, but it is all good."
Whilst coaches and front-office staff are banned from getting contact with players, there's an exception for charitable occasions such as the tour.
The group planned its preliminary stop for Marquette, Mich., on Tuesday followed by visits to three Wisconsin metropolitan areas -- Ashland on Wednesday, Eau Claire on Thursday and Wausau on Friday -- prior to returning to Green Bay on Saturday. Community occasions are planned at every quit, with ticket sales benefiting a previously selected charity.
"It's not likely to be strange," Flynn said. "This week is for your right reasons and a great cause. That is why we arrived up here."

jane5yan

Back to top Go down